"Burlington Center of Traffic for Skagit County" Aug. 2, 1907

Title

"Burlington Center of Traffic for Skagit County" Aug. 2, 1907

Description

Newsclipping describing Burlington Washington in 1907 as the center of rail traffic.

Creator

Burlington Journal

Source

BPL Newspaper Collection

Contributor

Burlington Public Library

Type

Still image of text

Text

Burlington, the hub of Skagit County's wheel, is situated seventy-three miles north of Seattle, and is practically midway between the metropolis and the city of Bellingham, and eighteen miles east of the thriving city of Anacortes, at the intersection of the coast line and Rockport branch of the Great Northern Railway, on the beautiful Skagit river just where its valley broadens out into the thousands of acres of the beautiful and fertile Olympia flats. It is blessed with the finest climate to be found on the Pacific coast, and its prospects for advancement excel] s that of any of the smaller town in the state of Washington.
Burlington's growth is rapid but substantial. It is now a town of eleven hundred population, which judging from present conditions will double within the next two years. The larger ranches where grain is raised may be seen now in all their grandure on the Olympia flats to the west, while nearer town and to the east, smaller tracts of five and ten acres may be seen with nice residences, and producing some of the finest fruit that is grown in the state of Washington.

Our system of Public School is not to be excelled [exceeded?]. On a block of ground near the center of the town stands one of the most beautiful and best equipped school buildings in the county. It has eight large rooms, filled to overflowing, while the school board are now making arrangements for the purchase of two more sites on which to erect a large new building similar to the one now built, also a Union High School building which is much needed. If the present plans in regard to building are promptly executed the Burlington school will soon be in the front rank in Skagit County.

The first Methodist church of Burlington, one of the largest and most modern church structures in the county, has just been completed at a cost of 7, 000 dollars and was dedicated by Bishop Moore of Seattle on last Sunday, July 28. The Episcopal, Luthern, and Catholic Organizations each have an up-to date church building, and all have a good working membership.
Burlington has one of the most modern and best equipped electric light plants on Puget Sound, Pure water, beautiful graded streets, Lumber mill and shingle mills, a bank and other business houses sufficient to supply the surrounding country.
A proposition to put in a fifteen thou-sand dollar water system will be presented to the town council on next Monday evening, which will perhaps meet with their hearty approval. Burlington is steadily moving to the front, and there is nothing can hold her back.

Files

1907HUB 001.jpg

Citation

Burlington Journal, “"Burlington Center of Traffic for Skagit County" Aug. 2, 1907,” Hub History - Burlington WA, accessed December 13, 2017, http://burlingtonwa.omeka.net/items/show/5.