The Lincoln Grade School 1933-4 Scrapbook Cover

Title

The Lincoln Grade School 1933-4 Scrapbook Cover

Subject

Schools

Description

Lincoln School was built in 1911 as a high school, but by 1933, it was serving as a grade school.

The full length of the building's basement was devoted to a cloak room, where students would hang up their heavy coats and leave their boots. The cafeteria took up the other half of the building.

From 1942-4, soldiers were camped on the grounds to the west of the school for training purposes and deployment.

The other three floors consisted of classrooms. In the late 1940s and early 1950s, the third floor was condemned.

In 1949-51, the 8th grade students were housed at the Burlington High School, while the new Westview Grade School was built. The Lincoln School was finally razed in 1958.

This is the present-day location of the Burlington Parks and Recreation building.

Creator

Ovenell, Elsie

Date

1933

Format

Scrapbooks

Files

1933 School Scrap Book 001jpg.jpg

Citation

Ovenell, Elsie, “The Lincoln Grade School 1933-4 Scrapbook Cover,” Hub History - Burlington WA, accessed December 13, 2017, http://burlingtonwa.omeka.net/items/show/6.